Skip to main content

Japan's Ice Is Cooler Than Your Ice

Nagamori chuugakkou (middle school) is a friendly, clean, and very large place where I now spend my weekdays. I am mid-way through my first week as an Assistant Language Teacher (ALT), and things are going very well despite my distinct lack of Japanese language skills. I teach full-time at Nagamori, which is different from most of my ALTIA colleagues who teach at two schools (Matt included). I enjoy staying at one school because it is much easier for me to handle the language barrier: I am able to see the same kids and teachers every day, and I am continuously improving my communication skills.

Mostly the kids are great. They are, as a whole, interested and engaged. I have been doing a lot of jiko shoukai, which means "self-introduction." Third day in and the kids have got a pretty good handle on me even though I haven't officially been in their class yet. I no longer can ask them if I am from Australia, for example, because they all know I am from America. I can, however, make them laugh by showing them a "90" flashcard after asking "how old am I?"

I also enjoy the teachers and administrators. They are all so willing to talk to me, even if they can't speak English at all. We have silly conversations with one half of the conversation in Japanese and the other side in English, but we get along just fine. Today I understood almost all of a conversation I had with a Kyoto-Sensee (Vice-Principal). He told me about Nagamori's three sports day teams (the red team, akagumi; the blue team, aougumi; the white team, shirogumi) and about the coming taifu (typhoon). Yes, there are regular typhoons in Japan. Gifu is very inland however, so the likelihood of anything drastic happening here is very low. This particular taifu, I was assured, is chiisai, or small. In any case, I was quite proud of myself for understanding him!

I also have been proving myself as a teacher in each class. The Japanese Teachers of English (JTE) were very surprised to know this is my first time in Japan and teaching English. Everyone tells me I am far exceeding some of the previous, and I think more recent, ALTs. I am happy to do so, happy to show them I am a decent teacher, I can handle a class, and I will make the effort to speak Japanese more each day. That is what I do! And for it, I am learning a lot, and I will get to plan some lessons for particular level 3 (8th grade) classes! This is nice, and a mark that I am already doing my job well.

Oh yes. And Japan's ice is way cooler than ice I've ever had anywhere else, and I am talking not of any magical "it" factor, but the actual coldness the ice possesses. It is perfectly square, small, and stays frozen forever. I put ice in my water in the morning and the SAME ICE is in my water in the afternoon. And my water is COLD! For those ice fans out there, this is as good as it gets. Also, this is particularly impressive if you remember back to my first Gifu post, where I explained that it is ninety trillion degrees here.

Next post: Matt's experiences at Nagamori Minami (South) and Sakaigawa.

Comments

  1. It's wonderful to hear that your first week of classes went so well. What's the age range of the kids?

    I need some of that ice here! The Arizona summer is still lingering around and has been hanging out lately with its new friend, humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they use a ton of freon or something? I enjoy cold drinks, but I also enjoy the process of the ice cube melting. I probably won't like it.

    But I'm not suprised you are doing so well or that people are so impressed with you. You have been teaching people of all ages a variety of things, dance, science labs etc for awhile now. You've mastered teaching, even if you haven't mastered their language, but I'm sure you are learning quickly. And anyway you are there to teach english anyway. Glad things are going well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gamagori Fireworks Festival

Takeshima, at low tide. Every year, on the last day of July, a big fireworks festival is held in Gamagori, Japan.  Fireworks are very big in Japan, with each major city priding itself on its particular display, and swearing up and down to anyone who will listen that their fireworks are the best in the nation.  Gifu's displays were canceled this year because of the earthquake, so we took the opportunity to travel a little more than an hour by express train to Gamagori.  It's a cute little town, not far from Okazaki, with a famous island that is entirely shrine space (seen in the picture to the right). It was a wonderful, if long, day.  Four of us set out from Gifu and picked two more friends up on the way to the island.  We arrived early, perhaps too early, but we did miss the worst of the afternoon sun as we wandered around the island.  Even though I was very diligent about my SPF 50 sunblock, I still managed to get burned on both shoulders before the morning was over.  I

Combatting Casual Bigotry and Racism in Ourselves and in the World

This post will deal with contentious issues of the way race is perceived  and how that perception directly impacts the treatment of various ethnic groups, specifically as I have experienced it in Japan.  Please understand that the following is my way of looking at such topics, and I understand it is not the way of everyone.  My education is comprised primarily of evolutionary biology, behavior studies, and neurobiology, so I am in no way able to look through a sociological or anthropological lens.  If you are qualified (like one of my sisters), please feel free to comment for the benefit of everyone reading this blog. First, I think it's necessary to state that I believe bigotry and racism exist everywhere, in everyone, to greater or lesser degrees.  According to The American Heritage Dictionary online at answers.com, a bigot is someone "who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ," and racism is &quo

To Live in the Moment Without Fear

To Live in the Moment Without Fear  is a work by Yuko Shinoda from Gifu, Japan.  Danced by six women, the dance investigates what it means to be a part of a community threatened by a disaster that takes a life.  Premiered June 5th 2011 in Nagoya, Japan, the dance features a strong movement aesthetic that draws from traditional Japanese dance as well as contemporary styles and contact improvisation.  Shinoda's use of space and timing, as her dancers flow in-and-out of solos, duets, trios, and unison, creates a sense that the dancers are unified and alone at the same time.  In the end, Shinoda's view of life is clear: we must tend to the fallen, but we must never surrender ourselves to fear while we are still alive.