Skip to main content

Sports Day!

On 9/17/10 I attended my first undokai, or Sports Day.  It's a day filled with various athletic events that is supposed to build teamwork and camaraderie between the students.  Although there are three teams (at my large school), the message of the day is that they are all part of one large group and as such should treat each other well.  It's inspiring as well as slightly ridiculous and militaristic.  The kids seem to have fun, and that's all that really matters. 

One event at my school is the onawa, or a very large group jump-rope.  A whole class (35-40 people) gathers, in two rows, by the same rope.  Two class members "twirl" said rope by using their entire wingspan to make giant circles.  This is unbelievably difficult, yet they manage to jump for long periods of time.  We tried this at our training a few weeks ago and failed miserably.  

Kibasen, which means "mounted knight," is a game I particularly enjoyed watching.  Three kids make a chair out of arms and shoulders, and one kid gets in the middle and is lifted up into the "chair".  The groups storm the field and try to steal each other's hats.  The team with the most hats from the other two teams wins.  I love the game, probably because of the lifting involved (I'm predictable).  The teachers split boys and girls up because the boys just truck each other all over the place.  My team, blue, got absolutely creamed.  This year blue seemed more bookish than the others, as a whole, so they were quiet and reserved even in the games.  While this is generally my kind of person, if I played kibasen, I would be throwing elbows along with the boys.

I liked being at sports day, even though I got a little sunburned. I rooted for blue (although we lost!) and I helped judge the cheer competition. This is when each team performs their cheer routine for the school (we had red, white, and blue). They set up desks and chairs as risers for most of the students, who add voices to a group that comes out to do a routine along to the beat of a taiko drum. They wear all black suit-like outfits that I think would be horrifically hot in the beating sun. It was a great time judging though. There was a ton of movement inspired by martial art, which I suppose is to be expected in Japan. I enjoyed seeing the students doing things that they created and had really invested in for fun. It is a side of them I don't see in class very often. I got to know them a bit better on this day, and I am looking forward to more in the coming months!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gamagori Fireworks Festival

Takeshima, at low tide. Every year, on the last day of July, a big fireworks festival is held in Gamagori, Japan.  Fireworks are very big in Japan, with each major city priding itself on its particular display, and swearing up and down to anyone who will listen that their fireworks are the best in the nation.  Gifu's displays were canceled this year because of the earthquake, so we took the opportunity to travel a little more than an hour by express train to Gamagori.  It's a cute little town, not far from Okazaki, with a famous island that is entirely shrine space (seen in the picture to the right). It was a wonderful, if long, day.  Four of us set out from Gifu and picked two more friends up on the way to the island.  We arrived early, perhaps too early, but we did miss the worst of the afternoon sun as we wandered around the island.  Even though I was very diligent about my SPF 50 sunblock, I still managed to get burned on both shoulders before the morning was over.  I

Combatting Casual Bigotry and Racism in Ourselves and in the World

This post will deal with contentious issues of the way race is perceived  and how that perception directly impacts the treatment of various ethnic groups, specifically as I have experienced it in Japan.  Please understand that the following is my way of looking at such topics, and I understand it is not the way of everyone.  My education is comprised primarily of evolutionary biology, behavior studies, and neurobiology, so I am in no way able to look through a sociological or anthropological lens.  If you are qualified (like one of my sisters), please feel free to comment for the benefit of everyone reading this blog. First, I think it's necessary to state that I believe bigotry and racism exist everywhere, in everyone, to greater or lesser degrees.  According to The American Heritage Dictionary online at answers.com, a bigot is someone "who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ," and racism is &quo

To Live in the Moment Without Fear

To Live in the Moment Without Fear  is a work by Yuko Shinoda from Gifu, Japan.  Danced by six women, the dance investigates what it means to be a part of a community threatened by a disaster that takes a life.  Premiered June 5th 2011 in Nagoya, Japan, the dance features a strong movement aesthetic that draws from traditional Japanese dance as well as contemporary styles and contact improvisation.  Shinoda's use of space and timing, as her dancers flow in-and-out of solos, duets, trios, and unison, creates a sense that the dancers are unified and alone at the same time.  In the end, Shinoda's view of life is clear: we must tend to the fallen, but we must never surrender ourselves to fear while we are still alive.